20/07/2014

Vanilla Caramel and Cayenne Caramel Macarons

I AM SO EXCITED YOU GUYS!

I made macarons for the very first time ever and they were amazing!

Macaron-Vanilla-Caramel
Vanilla and Caramel
I've been wanting to try my hand at macaron making for aaaages. But I kept procrastinating because, although I was keen to challenge myself, I was also super nervous that they were going to flop.

I bake like I cook, with reckless abandon. So my thoughts were that, since the macaron is meant to be the most difficult and temperamental baked good. I would definitely flop the first attempt. And my, oh my, I hate spending time dirtying dishes when the result is an inedible mess. I guess everyone does.

So, after months of avoidance, I bit the bullet and went for it. I ended up with 2 batches. One Vanilla and Caramel Pudding and one Cayenne and Caramel Pudding.

Both were fantastic!!

Even surfaced, well footed and chewy sweet. What more could you ask for?

On the baking sheet lined up in pairs

The feet

Vanilla Caramel and Cayenne Caramel Macarons

Macaron Shells Ingredients:

1 cup icing (powdered) sugar
1/2 cup finely ground almonds/almond flour
2 large egg whites (aged for 2 days in fridge)
5 tbsp normal table sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

Filling Ingredients:

1 x box Caramel Instant Pudding
400ml Cream

Method:

  • Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
  • Mix almond flour, icing  sugar, until combined.
  • Beat egg whites with the on medium low for 2 mins, gradually adding in the normal table sugar.
  • Increase speed to high to whip until soft peaks form. Do not overwhip.
  • Fold the dry ingredients in 2 batches. Add the vanilla essence and, if using, the cayenne pepper. 
  • After about 40-50 foldings it should look smooth and thick.
  • Fill your pastry bag and pipe batter onto the prepared baking sheets in 3cm circles.
  • Leave a gap of about 1.5 cms between each. 
  • Drop your baking tray on the table a few times to even out the macarons
  • Let them rest at room temp for 20 mins. The tops should be dry and not sticky to touch. 
  • Preheat your oven to 150 celcius. 
  • Bake the pans separately for 15 mins each.
  • Make your caramel instant pudding using cream instead of milk.
  • Some ovens don't have great ventialation, if this is the case open the oven door for a few seconds a few times during the cooking process.
  • Let cool completely and remove. 
  • Stick similar sized halves together using the pre-prepared caramel pudding mixture.
Cayenne Vanilla and Caramel
Cayenne and Caramel

0 comments:

Post a Comment