16/06/2014

pulled pork sandwiches

We're doing a FIFA World Cup competition type thing-a-majig at the office. Each of us pulled a country from the hat and are required to dress in the team's colours on the days they play. It's pretty festive with prizes for best dressed and a secret prize for the owner of the team that wins the tournament.

The team I drew was the USA, so it's safe to say that my chances of winning the secret grand prize are slim. But the title of Best Dressed Supporter could be within reach if I play my cards right. In the meantime I thought I'd start channeling the United States of America with a supper I've seen over and over on North American food blogs. 

Pulled Pork Sandwiches. 

Bonus points for an excuse to dust off my slow cooker.

As a side note, I was convinced the sauce was going to flop, but I am happy to say that I was completely wrong. It was delicious. The whole meal turned out so much better than I could have expected. GO USA!

Recipe-Image

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Ingredients

Pork 
Hamburger Buns (4 or 6 depending on how heavy handed you are with the filling) 
1kg hunk of pork (you can really use any big hunk of pork but best to have some fat on it for flavour)
1 tblsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tblsp chilli flakes
2 tsp paprika
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 onion chopped finely
1/2 tsp ground mustard seeds
1 bottle of beer (I used Black Label)
1 cup pineapple juice 

Coleslaw 
2 carrots sliced thinly
Half a mini cabbage chopped finely
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp apple cider vinegar
2 tblsp pineapple juice 

Sauce 
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I used All Gold - Heinz may work better)
1/2 cup of honey
1 tblsp worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tblsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground mustard seeds
1 clove of crushed garlic

Method 

  • Rub pork with spices and let it sit overnight (or, if you're me, forget to do this and rub in the spices 5 minutes before searing, it'll be great either way).
  • Fry the onion and garlic until soft and then sear the pork on all sides.
  • Throw all the ingredients listed under 'pork' into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
  • For the sauce, mix all of the ingredients under 'sauce' in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • For the coleslaw mix, all of the ingredients under 'coleslaw' together and leave aside until ready to serve.
  • Once the pork is cooked remove from the slow cooker and shred into bite-sized pieces.
  • Mix the shredded pork with the sauce until well coated.
  • Scoop the pork onto the hamburger buns and top with coleslaw.

0 comments:

Post a Comment