10/05/2014

Honey Oat Squares

It's time for another gluten free good time!
I had a hankering for a healthy sweet snack. This was the result. 
Healthy-Gluten-Free-Snack-Bars-1
Now, if I'm going to be honest, this recipe turned out nothing like what I expected.
The most likely reason, I concede, is that I strayed too far from the 2 recipes I was using as a platform.
Also, my old food processor crossed to the other side in the middle of the whole event. Things were looking dire.

Luckily, these ended up being super tasty and received the thumbs up from my semi-professional taste-tester.

One quick note: I used specifically gluten free oats.
By their nature oats are gluten free but they are often 'contaminated' with gluten in the growing/processing stages so, since I was looking for a sans gluten snack, I opted for the certified gluten free variety.
I'm glad we've cleared that up.


These squares have a super honey-ish flavour. So if you're not partial to the stuff please head in a different direction now.

Honey Oat Squares

Ingredients 

1 cup barley
2 cups oats
1/2 a cup of puffed brown rice
2/3 of a cup of dried dates (softened in hot water)
7 tablespoons of raw honey
1/3 cup almond butter
1 medium sized ripe banana

1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup almonds

 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup ground flax seeds

Method

  • Chop the nuts and set aside
  • Pulverize the dates in the food processor
  • Add the banana, almond butter and honey to the mix and pulverize further
  • Transfer the date mixture to a mixing bowl.
  • Add the chopped nuts, seeds, oats, barley, puffed rice to the bowl and mix well.
  • Line a pan with greaseproof/parchment paper.
  • Trasfer the mixture the the pan.
  • Press down into an even 1 inch(ish) layer across the pan and ensure that the mixture is tightly packed.
  • Bake for 25 mins at 160 Celcius or 325 Farenheit.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
  • Place in the fridge for a few minutes before cutting into squares.
  • Store the squares in an airtight container in the fridge.

Healthy-Gluten-Free-Snack-Bars-2

PS. You can also enjoy these squares crumbled into your oats or cereal.

0 comments:

Post a Comment