30/09/2013

Banana Pancakes (Crumpets)
Gluten Free Style

I don't really like to jump on the band wagon with food fads. I'm all about healthy balanced diet with a good amount of exercise.

Not too long ago I decided to go gluten free for an entire month. It was fairly challenging but, by the end of it, I wasn't even really interested in pasta or bread. I was happy with the outcome but I also understand that eating completely gluten free (GF) just doesn't fit well with my lifestyle. The result is that I now eat gluten but regulate my intake so that my body can cope.

That's the thing when it comes to human bodies. We're all same same but different. So our bodies handle things differently. This is what works for me and it is why there are an assortment of recipes on this blog, both GF and regular.

Here's a GF recipe to start your weekend off great.
banana-pancakes-(crumpets)-wheatfree

Banana Pancakes (Crumpets) Gluten Free Style

Ingredients

2 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tblsp oil of your choice (coconut works well)
1 tsp vanilla essence (extract)
1 tblsp sugar
2 small ripe bananas

Method

  • Mash bananas to a pulp
  • Add all wet ingredients (eggs, milk, oil) and mix til combined
  • In a seaparate bowl mix all dry ingredients together (rice flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon)
  • Mix wet and dry ingredients until just combined
  • My mixture was quite thin and runny, which had me worried in the beginning but just meant that I had thinner pancakes that cooked through quicker, which I actually really liked. If your mixture is too runny add a bit more rice flour.
  • Drop spponfuls of mixture into a heated pan and cook on a medium heat intil golden brown on both sides.
  • Serve in a stack topped with butter, honey, syrup, sliced banana or strawberries
Note - I based this on The Roasted Root's recipe which can be found here

0 comments:

Post a Comment