24/05/2013

oreo cupcakes

As promised, here is the Oreo cupcake recipe I used for my work farewell pajama party. 
It is based on Annie's recipe but I made a  few teeny modifications.
Personally, I found the cakes a little too dense. I mean, I’m a fan of all kinds of cakes but I didn’t expect the texture of these to turn out as they did (this may have had something to do with my little modifications though).
On the other hand, everyone who ate these expressed utter delight so this may be a case of me being a little too self critical.
Either way, the next time I make these cupcakes I will be beating the egg whites before adding them for a (hopefully) lighter end product.

Ingredients:
Cupcakes -
- 1 and a 1/2 packages of Oreos
- 2 and 1/4 cups flour (sifted)
- 1tsp basking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 115g of butter at room temp)
- 1 and 2/3 cup castor sugar (original recipe said to use normal sugar but I prefer castor for baking)
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tsp Vanilla essence / extract
- 1 cup milk

Frosting / Icing -
- 1/2 a package of  Oreos
- 250g cream cheese (at room temp)
- 85g butter (at room temp)
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence (extract)
- 4 cups of icing / confectioners sugar (sifted)
- 2 tbsp milk (original recipe said to use heavy cream but cupcake is so rich already so I used milk)
Method:
Cupcakes-
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius 
- Line your cupcake tray with paper liners
- Split 12 Oreos in half and place them, cream side up, at the bottom of each liner
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt
- In another bowl combine butter and castor sugar and blend together with an electric beater until light and fluffy
- Blend in the egg whites one by one until well mixed
- Add vanilla extract
- On low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients and the milk until just combined
- chop up one whole package of Oreos and fold into the mixture.
- Divide the batter between the cupcake liners
- Bake for 18 - 25 minutes and then let cool completely before icing

Frosting / Icing -
- Combine cream cheese and butter with an electric beater until smooth
- Add vanilla extract / essence and blend
- Blend in the castor sugar / confectioner's sugar until smooth
- Add milk and blend until light and fluffy
- Crush the remaining Oreos in the food processor. These have to be fine crumbs as bigger chunks will block your nozzle while piping.
- Blend the Oreo crumbs into the icing / frosting
- Ice / Frost the cupcakes as desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment